Rava Upma Recipe
Upma is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe. Still in Maharashtra, Upma(called uppit) is a hot favorite breakfast food! There are varieties of upma recipes i.e. Vegetable upma, Coconut upma, Oats upma, Bread upma, Semiya upma, Noodles upma etc.
I will start with the most basic Rava upma. Rava upma is very simple and easy to prepare. I love dry rava upma. I hate if it is too oily or mushy! Taste of rava upma varies with the type of rava (small/big rava). I prefer big rava.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Serves: 2 Persons
1 Cup Sooji/Rava
1 Onion (chopped)
1 tbsp Oil
2-1/2 Cups water
1-1/2 tsp Urad Dal
3 Green chilies (chopped)
1/4 tsp Ginger(chopped)
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds (Rai)
A pinch asafoetida (Hing)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
salt as required
Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
1. In a heavy bottomed pan on low heat, pour in 2 tsp of Oil.
2. Add rava and roast till it starts to get a little golden color and emits a wonderful aroma. Take out on a plate and allow it to cool. (It is very important to keep stirring and rava tends to burn. Roasting procedure takes 8-10 min.)
4. Now heat oil in the kadhai(pan) and add the mustard seeds,cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. When the dal turns golden brown and the mustard seeds splutter, add the onions, green chillies and ginger, hing. Fry for 4-5 mins until the onions turns golden brown.
5. Now add sooji(rava) and fry on a low flame for around 4-5mins (take care not to burn the rava). Add salt and sugar, mix well.
6. In a separate bowl heat 2 cups of water. When it starts boiling, transfer it to the rava mixture. Cover and cook till all water is absorbed. Mix well and make sure there are no dry lumps of Sooji.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander lime juice in upma.
8. Serve hot with or without sev.
The sooji can be roasted in bulk and saved for future uses. Means you roast rava in bulk, allow it to cool and store it in air tight container. So when you prepare rava upma all you need to do is - do seasoning, add water, pre roasted rava and allow it cook. It would not take more than 10-15 minutes to cook rava upma.